Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Peepli (Live)

Peepli Live is a Hindi film written and directed by Anusha Rizvi in her first directorial venture, and produced by Aamir Khan. The film stars Naya Theatre company member Omkar Das Manikpuri as well as Naseeruddin Shah, Raghubir Yadav, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Shalini Vatsa and Malaika Shenoy along with a number of newcomers. Peepli Live, distributed by UTV Motion Pictures, was released on 13 August 2010.

A comic satire on farmers' suicides and subsequent media and political response, Peepli Live competed in the Sundance Film Festival, the first film from India to achieve this feat. It received an 'A' adult certificate in India for language use. The movie was picked up by specialty German distribution company Rapid Eye Movies for a special screening at the Berlin International Film Festival. Peepli Live has reportedly recovered its cost before its release itself.

Source: Wikipedia

4 comments:

  1. I started the movie with not too high expectations as I was already warned by Murali who watched before I did. However, being an Aamir Khan movie I did have some expectation of it being a good fun movie. There was very less fun and lot of intense drama.

    This is a message movie but probably there were too many messages to take note of.

    Little disappointing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched this movie a few weeks back and fortunately I hadn't heard any reviews. I only heard, on the way to the theater that it was a satirical movie and that it was an Aamir Khan production.

    I thought that the movie's makers (Director, producer etc etc) actually did a good job and I came out of the movie, thinking about whether this would actually happen in India ( message? ) and (not) surprisingly, it did seem absolutely possible.

    Raghubir Yadav and Omkar Das Manikpuri were so good. I thought the scene where Raghubir Yadav gets Omkar Das Manikpuri to volunteer for the suicide was quite funny and very well portrayed. Oh, I loved Natha's wife's character(Shalini Vatsa)... and the mother was such a pain. The journalist Rakesh(Nawazuddin Siddiqui) was certainly not inspiring but was pretty good. And finally the journalist Nandita (Malaika Shenoy) ... I thought she did a good job.

    I cannot judge sometimes(read "mostly") if a movie was good or bad. This was one such movie. Although not completely entertaining, it was okay. It had its lulls but for the most part it is a well made movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree, performers were stage actors and showed their caliber. As far as possibility of happening in India, I can't less believe it might be happening today. Not just in India.. but everywhere.. media and politicians are what they are.. it's a universal mess :)

    Guess am complaining too much and not doing anything hehe.. kya karein control nahi hota :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may be a universal mess. But I do not know of other places, so cannot say that. I said India because the movie is set in India.

    ReplyDelete